From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: installing Gentoo on a 2007 Macbook
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:24:19
1 Am Tue, 20 Aug 2013 23:24:36 -0700
2 schrieb Keith Dart <keith@×××××××××.biz>:
3
4 > Re , Marc Joliet said:
5 > > Now since I am productive with it, I wanted to install Gentoo on it
6 > > but have thus far failed. So here are my overall goals:
7 > >
8 > > - install Gentoo
9 > > - ideally ditch OS X
10 > > - boot using EFI instead of in BIOS compatibility mode (e.g., I read
11 > > that this
12 >
13 > I had Gentoo on a Macbook before. I used rEFInd to do it, but recent
14 > kernels with proper EFI configuration should also work. But no
15 > guarantees...
16 >
17 > Also, it's not enough to just say "MacBook". There are several
18 > sub-models of that with different chipsets, GPU, etc. I had it working
19 > with Intel chipset and even ran compiz on it.
20
21 You're right, but at least I explicitly left out the "Pro" (it's *not* an MBP)
22 and limited it to 2007 ;) . But to answer your question: "dmidecode -s
23 system-product-name" says it's a "MacBook4,1". The Ubuntu wiki has a site on
24 it:
25 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook4-1/Natty#Basic_Installation_Instructions,
26 but they don't touch pure EFI installation (they just mention that it's
27 hypothetically possible in the referenced basic MacTel installation
28 instructions). If I knew it was a lost cause with this model, I wouldn't be
29 trying it, so some form of assurance would be great, if somebody knows more.
30
31 I know that BIOS compatibility mode should work in combination with rEFInd, as
32 I managed to install Ubuntu on an (almost) identical model my brother has.
33
34 Also: I believe I know that the EFI of this model is 32 bit, so when I
35 installed GRUB2 I also tried installing it in 32 bit mode (note: I tried both,
36 both with efibootmgr and bless, to no success, but maybe I tried wrong?).
37
38 BTW, I just want to emphasize again that the Mac OS X 10.7 installer has yet to
39 succeed, after at least a dozen attempts (half of the time it doesn't even
40 find/show the SSD, while Linux *always* finds it, so I don't think it's the
41 hardware). So maybe this Macbook is just broken; I already know that the
42 battery is (hell, wouldn't it be great if *that's* why OS X is failing).
43
44 If nobody finds a solution just by thinking about it ;) , I can show some
45 details of the installation ("efibootmgr -v" and "gdisk -l" output, contents of
46 the ESP, etc.), if it helps narrowing the issue down. In fact, when I take a
47 break from working later I'll do just that.
48
49 Thanks for the responses so far!
50 --
51 Marc Joliet
52 --
53 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
54 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup