From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I need hdparm for serial ATA drive?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:11:51
1 On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Newer machines invariably have SATA drives:
3 >
4 > *-disk
6 > product: ST9500420ASG
7 > vendor: Seagate
8 > physical id: 0
9 > bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
10 > logical name: /dev/sda
11 > version: 0004
12 > serial: 5VJ377P2
13 > size: 465GiB (500GB)
14 > capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
15 > configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=cf5ac2f0
16 >
17 > From dmesg:
18 >
19 > ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf1005000 port 0xf1005100 irq 35
20 > ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf1005000 port 0xf1005180 irq 35
21 >
22 > Do I need to emerge hdparm for such a drive?
23
24 As long as the drivers are in your kernel the drives should work.
25 hdparm is not required to use your disks, but you can use it to change
26 power-saving mode etc. (for example my 2TB drive had very aggressive
27 spindown when power-saving was OFF, but when I use hdparm to turn
28 power-saving ON at the highest level, the crazy spindowns stopped)