From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dhcpd uses fake MAC address
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:33:38
1 Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <snip>
4 >> More sophisticated routers allow you to set up on their CLI static LAN IP
5 >> addresses using the DUID string, instead of the client's MAC hardware
6 >> address.
7 >>
8 >> Previous versions of dhcpcd had the vram USE flag which copied the hardware
9 >> address into the DUID string and the dhcp servers would happily recognise the
10 >> original network device, while using the DUID string. Now the vram flag is
11 >> gone. Therefore, if you cannot set up static IP addresses with your router's
12 >> CLI using the client_indentifier string (like e.g. on Cisco and
13 >> Adtran/Netvanta routers), the only other solution would be to set it on the
14 >> client side. That's an inconvenient solution if you have a laptop which
15 >> connects to all sort of networks with different LAN IP addresses/ranges. In
16 >> that case you may have to run ifconfig and route manually each time you
17 >> connect to a network.
18 >
19 > Or, actually, you could just give in and use a different dhcp
20 > client... one more forgiving of less RFC compliant servers. Just
21 > winging an admittedly untested idea... try "busybox udhcpc" and see if
22 > it gives you the right IP... and if so, try emerging net-misc/udhcp
23 > (different from BB's built in, but it's worked in all the same places
24 > as BB's has for me, which includes some very cheap routers) and
25 > setting your conf.d/net to use it over other clients. ( modules=(
26 > "udhcpc" ) )
27
28 I just did this and everything is OK; the MAC address is correct.
29 Booting is also faster by about 8-10 seconds (dhcpcd needed about 10
30 seconds to get the IP, udhcpc gets an IP instantly.)
31
32 And no, my router isn't broken. Quite the contrary; all the Ciscos and
33 Netgears and whatevers developed problems over time. My old trusty
34 Thomson SpeedTouch just keeps walking for ages, running 24/7 for over 5
35 years :)