From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New computer and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 05:56:27
1 On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 06:26 +0100, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 Jul 2011 03:29:17 Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > amd64 means any x86 64bit platform, so Intel too.
4 > >
5 > > march=native is good if you're not using distcc, or if you're only
6 > > using distcc on core2 boxes. Otherwise be specific.
7 >
8 > I recommend using the "64 bit profile (amd64) for >= GCC 4.3" which shows -
9 > march=core2. This is what I use here with multilib and had no problems.
10
11 Ive just stumbled on something weird with march=native:
12
13 At some point I had march=prescott on a core2 E4600 running 32bit -
14 worked well. Changed to march=native and did some upgrades with a few
15 odd things like asterisk segfaulting in a glibc library afterwards, and
16 some things not building. Then to add confusion, I changed to an
17 pentium Duo E6600 (flies!) and added another stick of ram. More odd
18 things happening such as reiserfs oopsing on shutdown.
19
20 Last night the penny dropped and I looked the new processor up and
21 changed to march=core2 and have mostly corrected (recompiled) the
22 damage.
23
24 So not sure about march=native now as it is only what was built with
25 native thats been problematic. With 20-20 hindsight it was perhaps
26 predictable ...
27
28 BillK