From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Sort of solved] Recommended pseudo-hardware for QEMU guest machine?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:00:23
1 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 05:43:17AM +0100, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote
4 >
5 > > Have you installed x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting on the guest?
6 >
7 > Cannot be done on my machines. On 2 physical machines, and on the
8 > Gentoo guest, I get...
9
10 You don't have to install it on the physical machines but only on the
11 guests.
12
13 > > emerge -pv xf86-video-modesetting
14 > >
15 > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
16 > >
17 > > Calculating dependencies... done!
18 > > [ebuild N ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting-0.9.0::gentoo
19 > > 298 KiB [blocks B ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting
20 > > ("x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting" is blocking
21 > > x11-base/xorg-server-1.17.4)
22 > >
23 > > Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 298 KiB
24 > > Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
25 > >
26 > > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
27 > > * installed at the same time on the same system.
28 >
29 > On the guest, I unmerged xorg-server and tried emerging
30 > xf86-video-modesetting. The result was that it would've pulled in
31 > xorg-server, which would again have blocked xf86-video-modesetting.
32 > Wierd.
33
34 That's indeed strange. As I said, I have no experiences with gentoo
35 as guest OS.
36
37 Maybe it will help to recompile xorg-server without the xorg USE flag
38 on the guest machine. When you can connect via ssh then you can revert
39 it easily when it fails.
40
41 And use emerge --backtrack=999 :-)
42
43 > > Have you compiled the guest kernel with CONFIG_DRM_CIRRUS_QEMU?
44 > >
45 > > If yes, then I guess that you don't need xf86-video-cirrus at all.
46 > >
47 > > > With "-vga
48 > > > std" X doesn't start up at all.
49 > >
50 > > You probably need to compile the guest kernel with CONFIG_DRM_BOCHS
51 > > for "-vga std".
52 > >
53 > > > Any suggestions for improvement?
54 > >
55 > > There is also a kernel option for a KMS enabled DRM driver for the
56 > > VMware SVGA virtual hardware (CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX). I think that the
57 > > performance of this driver is better than the performance of the
58 > > cirrus driver.
59 >
60 > As I mentioned earlier vmware, cirrus, and bochs all ticked off in
61 > "make menuconfig". Now that I have something working, I think I'll
62
63 These options are depending on CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM, CONFIG_DRM and
64 CONFIG_PCI. You must activate all of these options too.
65
66 > make a copy of the 10-gig guest disk image before any further
67 > tweaking that might render it inoperative again.
68
69 Backups are always a good idea.
70
71 > > I think that you also need x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware installed
72 > > on the guest if you want to use "-vga vmware".
73 >
74 > I've tried that earlier, when things weren't working. Maybe it'll
75 > work this time.
76
77 Good luck.
80 Regards