From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] logrotate won't rotate portage logs
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:38:13
1 Hi All,
2
3 I do not understand why the log files within /var/log/portage/ will
4 not rotate on my PC, while they rotate fine on my laptop. The
5 /etc/logrotate.conf is the same on both boxen:
6 ==========================================
7 # rotate log files weekly
8 weekly
9 #daily
10
11 # keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
12 rotate 4
13
14 # create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
15 create
16
17 # uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
18 compress
19
20 # packages can drop log rotation information into this directory
21 include /etc/logrotate.d
22
23 notifempty
24 nomail
25 noolddir
26
27 [snip . . . ]
28
29 # when /var/log/portage gets big
30 /var/log/portage/*.log
31 {
32 rotate 1
33 weekly
34 nocreate
35 ifempty
36 olddir /var/log/portage/old
37 postrotate
38 find /var/log/portage/old -maxdepth 1 -mtime +30 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \;
39 endscript
40 nocompress
41 }
42 ==========================================
43
44 The only difference I noticed (other than the fact that I have two
45 year old portage log files in /var/log/portage) between the two boxen
46 is that the access rights of the 'old' directory on the PC were:
47
48 drwxr-sr-x 2 root root 48 Dec 23 2005 old
49
50 while on the laptop which rotates without problems are:
51
52 drwx------ 2 root root 4256 Jan 13 11:20 old
53
54 This may be a bit of a red herring because even though I changed the
55 access rights as per the laptop, the PC still refuses to rotate the
56 portage log files.
57
58 Any ideas? How do I troubleshoot this one?
59 --
60 Regards,
61 Mick
62 --