From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] uvesafb fails to work
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:45:36
1 Mick schrieb:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I've just compiled kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 which comes with uvesa and thought
5 > of using it on a box of mine. However, amidst other weird and wonderful
6 > errors that the new kernel gives me on this box, I have completely failed to
7 > get uvesafb to work.
8 >
9 > When it boots up it comes up with these errors:
10 > =====================================================
11 > * Setting framebuffer console images
12 > Can't open cfg file //etc/splash/emergence/640x480.cfg
13 > No 8bpp silent picture specified in the theme
14 > No 8bpp verbose picture specified in the theme
15 > * Failed to set background image on tty1
16 > =====================================================
17 >
18 > Meanwhile the penguins and fonts on the boot console are shown in some
19 > impossibly large size. My kernel line is:
20 >
21 > kernel /kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda3 \
22 > video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32@60,ywrap,mtrr:4, \
23 > splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
24 > initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024
25 >
26 > Any ideas?
27
28 Just a shot in the dark are you using any kind of tv-out?
29
30 I had this problem with tv-out. I specified a resolution of 1280x1024.
31 When I connect my tv to my box the maximal resolution possible is
32 1024x768 because the tv-encoder does not offer higher resolutions. So
33 instead of switching to the next greatest resolution of 1024x768 the
34 uvesafb driver switches to smallest resolution of 640x480. This
35 resolution is not available in the emergence theme thus the splash fails!
36
37 If you have a problem like this there are existing patches whto the
38 kernel which are fixing this issue!
39
40 What does "cat /sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes" say?
41
42 Regards,
43
44 Daniel