From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine not booting properly: profile.env cannot execute binary file
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 03:50:40
1 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >     My machine went feral which resulted in me having to kill the
4 > power to kill it. Upon reboot everything looked good, fsck did it's
5 > job, [ok]'s scrolled up the screen etc and then I got the login
6 > prompt. I entered my username & password and then the fun began.
7 >
8 >     I got:
9 >
10 > -bash: .: /etc/profile.env: cannot execute binary file
11 >
12 > If I tried any command, say ls, I got:
13 >
14 > -bash: ls: no such file or dir
15 >
16 >     I've now rebooted the machine using a relatively recent
17 > sysrescueCD and had a look at profile.env and it's binary but I
18 > thought it should have been text!!!! In the top line or so it mentions
19 > "ld" for some reason. I checked the same file on the boot disk and
20 > it's text. One or two I found on line are also text.
21 >
22 >     Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on here? Should I
23 > just grab the profile.env from the boot disk and drop it into the /etc
24 > dir? Or should I go through the whole process of chroot off a gentoo
25 > disc and then run env-update as it says in the header of the text
26 > versions I'v seen?
27 >
28 >     Thoughts greatly appreciated,
29 >
30 >         Andrew
34 I've heard of that problem you have before but can't recall what causes
35 it.  This should give you some links to look into in the meantime.
36
37 https://www.startpage.com/do/search?q=%2Fetc%2Fprofile.env%3A+cannot+execute+binary+file&lui=english
38
39 My main reason for replying, you may want to enable the Sys-Rq key
40 sequence, if it isn't already.  While rare, I sometimes get a hard lock
41 up and at least that gives file systems a chance to sync up and to have
42 a normal and safe umount of partitions.
43
44 http://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and%20Tricks/sysrq.htm
45
46 Hope that helps.