From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev problem during boot
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:03:47
1 What version of udev?
2
3 Recent versions are not compatible with older kernels, they need a *very*
4 recent kernel
5
6 "Francisco Ares" <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
7
8 >Hi
9 >
10 >After a lot of updates without rebooting (I`ve been keeping my computer on
11 >during several weeks), now it can`t boot anymore. Thanks to the LiveDVD I`m
12 >able to try somethings, including a "emerge --sync" and a "emerge -vuDN
13 >world", followed up by a "etc-update" and a "revdep-rebuild" - nothing
14 >strange and no results.
15 >
16 >The error message is like this (I had to copy it by hand, sorry for any
17 >typo):
18 >
19 >*Press I to enter interactive mod
20 > * Mounting proc at /proc ... [ok]
21 > *** Skipping mount of /sys as /sys/kernel exists
22 >** *** Mounting /dev ... [ok]
23 >** ***** Starting udevd ... [ok]
24 >**
25 >** ***** Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ... [ok]
26 >**
27 >** ***** Assuming udev failed somewhere, as /dev/zero does not exist **
28 >** ***** Mounting devpts at /dev/pts ... [ok]
29 >**
30 >** ***** Caching service dependencies ... **
31 >[ok]**
32 >Can't open /dev/fb0 or /dev/fb/0
33 >failed to configure resolution and icon positioning
34 >Failed to load theme 'livecd-2007.0'
35 >** ***** Checking root filesystem ...
36 >Failed to open the device '/dev/sda9': No such file or directory
39 >** ***** Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
40 >Give root password for maintenance
41 >(or type Control-D to continue):
42 >** ** **
43 >*Giving root password and listing the contents of the '/dev' directory,
44 >there are very few entries, none for my disk partitions, for example.
45 >
46 >I`ve already re-emerged udev, baselayout, and even built a new kernel -
47 >currently using 2.6.27-r7 and tried 2.6.30-r8 (I guess there`s nothing to do
48 >with the kernel, but I've built it just in case)
49 >
50 >Most probably I missed some messages during the ebuilds of the updates I've
51 >been applying.
52 >
53 >Any ideas on where to look for?
54 >
55 >Thanks a lot!
56 >Francisco
57 >--
58 >"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
59 >and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
60 >idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
61 >George Bernard Shaw
64 Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.