From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 22:19:35
1 On 12/29/2016 11:37 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 29 Dec 2016 12:26:23 Corbin Bird wrote:
3 >> On 12/29/2016 07:21 AM, Mick wrote:
4 >>> Hi All,
5 >>>
6 >>> My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
7 >>> pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications. This
8 >>> is what I am talking about:
9 >>>
10 >>> Sound level undesirable
11 >>> ==============
12 >>> Kmail pops up a warning and the sound level is 100%. The first time. On
13 >>> the second warning when it happens a couple of seconds later, the sound
14 >>> level is back down to normal levels, say 55%. Without me interfering
15 >>> with any audio settings.
16 >>>
17 >>> Some time later another warning pops up and this time the sound may be
18 >>> normal, a second warning a couple of seconds later may be back to 100%.
19 >>> It appears to me as if sound levels generated by dekstop/application
20 >>> warnings are adjusted dynamically on the fly and at will, but not my will
21 >>> ...
22 >>>
23 >>> Non-KDE applications, e.g. Pidgin bleep at top volume when IMs are
24 >>> sent/received. Adjusting their volume thankfully sticks, at least for the
25 >>> desktop session in question.
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >>> Alsamixer
29 >>> ======
30 >>>
31 >>> Running alsamixer shows:
32 >>> Card: PulseAudio
33 >>> Chip: PulseAudio
34 >>>
35 >>> with a single Master bar for adjusting the volume. Selecting F6 shows
36 >>> Sound Card set to (default), with 'HDA Intel MID' and 'HDA ATI HDMI'
37 >>> below it. When I select 0 for 'HDA Intel MID' I get all my familiar
38 >>> alsamixer settings back including Master, Headphones, Speaker, PCM, Mic,
39 >>> etc.
40 >>>
41 >>> Adjusting these allow me to arrive at sane volume levels as used to be the
42 >>> case in the past. However, the annoying thing is these settings do not
43 >>> stick between reboots.
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >>> On another laptop with a different audio card, things are even stranger.
47 >>> The card pops/crackles at boot time, but all sound is dead unless and
48 >>> until I run alsactl init. Then if the sound gets quite loud, e.g. the
49 >>> other side of a Skype call raises their voice above a certain level, all
50 >>> sound is lost until I run alsactl init again. This is becoming tedious
51 >>> to say the least.
52 >>>
53 >>>
54 >>> Have you noticed anything similar to either of the above problems ? What
55 >>> may be causing these problems and are there any fixes/workarounds? I
56 >>> honestly can't recall sound ever being such a pain on my systems.
57 >>
58 >> Link :
59 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA
60 >>
61 >> The link above is a good way to start. ( troubleshooting as well )
62 >> Gentoo has a boot shell script that does the "alsactl init" and shutdown
63 >> for you. ( media-sound/alsa-utils )
64 >> Just be sure you also take a look at "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf" and
65 >> make the required changes there as well.
66 >
67 > Thank you Corbin, I've already been through the article and my alsa.conf has
68 > been working happily for years. This is a relatively recent problem though
69 > and I haven't found anything in the article that mentions these symptoms or
70 > addresses the problems I described above.
73 I installed pulse to deal with spdif mixing (which alsa couldn't seem to
74 do by itself at the time) and had odd problems until I used pulse's own
75 mixer. Have you tried that? media-sound/pavucontrol - and it wasn't
76 installed with pulse, I had to install it separately. I remember looking
77 around for a curses-based mixer but at the time couldn't find one.
78
79 I remember there was a setting there somewhere that was making something
80 not quite work, I changed it and it's all good now.
81
82 Dan