From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD and changing permissions
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:48:01
1 On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:39:03 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > It changes the permissions whenever I insert the DVD. I'm not sure if
4 > it is something that is on the DVD or if it is a mounting issue. Here
5 > is my fstab line for the *DVD*:
6 >
7 > /dev/hdd /media/hdd auto noauto,users 0 0
8
9 Unless you have a very good reason to leave this in place, remove it. HAL
10 based automounters do not need fstab, but it will override their defaults
11 if present. A desktop automounter will usually mount the device as the
12 user running it, that's certainly the case with KDE and should be with
13 ivman.
14
15 The changing permissions on the mount point is because they are now the
16 permissions of something else. When nothing is mounted there, the
17 permissions are those of the mount point on the parent filesystem, when
18 you mount something, they are the permissions of the root of the mounted
19 device.
20
21 Do other devices, such as USB sticks, mount correctly?
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 "Give me Liberty, fries, and two cokes to go!" "*CUT!*"