From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing pdfs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 05:10:45
1 On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 04:11:46PM -0400, james wrote:
2 > Pdfs are becoming a challenge to print. I'm sure I'll be printing pdf files
3 > for decades to come.
4 >
5 > So what application/strategy gets me past errors like this:
6 >
7 > "Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x50e01) with this library
8 > (version 0x50e02)"
9
10 How is your printer connected ? If it's using The Common Unix Print System
11 (C.U.P.S.) as many do, try the lpr command (from `net-print/cups`). The server
12 on which C.U.P.S.\ is running is specified with the `-H <address>` argument, and
13 various options can be specified with `-o <key=value>`.
14
15 To take the example from the man page of lpr:
16
17 Print a double-sided legal document to a printer called "foo":
18 $ lpr -P foo -o media=legal -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename
19
20 If your printer is remote, as mine is (on a server called `genserv`), you can do
21 the following:
22
23 $ lpr -H genserv -o sides=two-sided-long-edge paper.pdf
24
25 This is not a suggestion that you abandon the issue of mismatched Qt library
26 versions, but rather a simple workaround to use while the various Qt programs
27 get up-to-date with the latest versions of the libraries. Providing C.U.P.S.\ is
28 configured correctly with all the appropriate `ppd` files for your particular
29 printer model, lpr should work out-of-the-box.
33 Ashley Dixon
34 suugaku.co.uk
37 DA96 D18A
38 8A7B B0D2