From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] iTunes with Gentoo?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:04:39
1 On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 17:39 -0700, Joshua D Doll wrote:
2 > Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 10:11 -0700, Joshua D Doll wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Michael Schmarck wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>> Hello.
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Sorry for being somewhat Off Topic, but could you guys please tell
10 > >>> me if it's possible to use iTunes with wine-0.9.57 under a ~x86
11 > >>> system? Is it possible to change the store location to something
12 > >>> other than US (as that's required to buy songs, as far as I know)?
13 > >>>
14 > >>> Thanks,
15 > >>>
16 > >>> Michael
17 > >>>
18 > >>>
19 > >>>
20 > >> iTunes works pretty well, running on a VM of windows. I run windows XP
21 > >> with VMWare Workstation and have iTunes installed to sync my iPod,
22 > >> because no OSS solutions handle m4a very well :-(.
23 > >>
24 > >> --Joshua Doll
25 > >>
26 > >
27 > > But you have no way to burn an audio-cd from it and thus get rid of drm,
28 > > right?
31 > I've burned a copy of CDs from within the VM, but not using iTunes. I
32 > personally don't have very many DRM'd music, like I said I just use it
33 > to transfer m4a (apple lossless which is not DRM'd) files to my iPod.
36 > --Joshua Doll
37
38 Oh, that interests me: Which VM enables you to actually burn CDs? I
39 tried Qemu once and were told at that time that there is no VM with
40 CD-burning functionality.
41
42 Did you actually burn it from within the VM, e.g. having that much
43 control over your hardware or did you create an image you later burned
44 with native linux tools?