From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Noob WiFi question (yes-or-no answer will suffice)
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 04:46:24
1 On Thursday, October 02, 2014 07:05:51 PM walt wrote:
2 > My ISP just forced me to upgrade to a new fiberoptic plan with very
3 > little advance notice.
4 >
5 > I can't complain too much because my download speed is three times
6 > faster than yesterday, but now I need to use a USB WiFi adapter if
7 > I want to use my main desktop machine anywhere other than my kitchen.
8
9 What about upload speed?
10 Don't forget, with most domestic connections, if you use 50% of your uplink,
11 you loose 50% of your downlink.
12
13 For example:
14 You get 20Mbit down and 1Mbit up
15 You use something that continuously uses 512Kbit of your uplink, then you only
16 have 10Mbit downlink left.
17
18 This is really usefull (NOT) when you use remote control applications
19 (desktop, shells,...) where the used uplink and downlink are mostly similar.
20
21 > (Don't ask -- the details are too stupid to post -- but I'm now using
22 > a wired ethernet connection from my kitchen :)
23
24 Send it to me off-list if you prefer, I am curious why you think the details
25 are too "stupid" to post.
26 I've seen properties where various wires enter the building in the kitchen and
27 because that's where the main connections are, the modem/router/whatever needs
28 to be there.
29 Worst location I ever saw was a guy who had the modem installed in the
30 bathroom (by the ISP), because there was no room in the small cupboard where
31 the phone line entered the building. (Bathroom was on other side of the wall)
34 Joost