From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [extremly, wildly, obscenely OT] Is there a Linux system without GNU userlands?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:35:39
1 On 2008-08-10, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I ask it here because I really don't know where to ask it.
5 >
6 > Is there a Linux system somewhere with a *non-GNU* userland?
7
8 What do you mean by "non-Gnu"?
9
10 SW for which the FSF doesn't own the copyrights?
11
12 SW which is distributed under something other than one of the
13 Gnu Public Licenses?
14
15 > I wonder in particular if:
16 > - there are Linux systems using the BSD userlands
17
18 Are there even any BSD systems with 100% non-GNU userlands?
19
20 The last time I did a basic FreeBSD install, it included Gnu
21 user-land stuff (e.g. gcc).
22
23 > - there are Linux systems using completely non-standard userlands...
24 > let's say, non-Unix tools on top of a Linux kernel.
25
26 I'm sure there are embedded Linux systems which contain little
27 or no FSF-owned code. But I don't know if you'd consider those
28 systems to even _have_ a "userland".
29
30 > Only thing I can think about is (maybe) embedded systems or
31 > things using busybox, but in the latter case just imitating
32 > gnu or bsd userlands.
35 Grant