From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:02:07
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > Yes, I do use smartctl on some other machines although I'm not very
4 > good about it and your write-up is helpful so thanks for that.
5 >
6 > My wife's machines is older and and I don't think SMART is
7 > supported on her drive. Note the lack of a * on the SMART line in
8 > hdparm -I:
9
10 Okay, but it still states:
11
12 > * SMART error logging
13 > * SMART self-test
14
15 So maybe smartctl -t long /dev/hda still works? Just give it a try.
18 > dragonfly ~ # smartctl -H /dev/hda
19 > smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
20 > Allen Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
21 >
22 > SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
23 > dragonfly ~ # smartctl -s on /dev/hda
24 > smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
25 > Allen Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
26 >
27 > === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
28 > Error SMART Enable failed: Input/output error
29 > Smartctl: SMART Enable Failed.
30 >
31 > A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
32 > more '-T permissive' options.
33 > dragonfly ~ #
34 >
35 > I've not tried the -T permissive options.
36
37 I would :) There is also a BIOS setting for SMART, but I think this does
38 not matter here, and it's only for being able to report a failing drive
39 before booting.
40
41 > I've never used badblocks as it seems I should only do that off-line.
42 > This might be a good time to boot with a CD and try it out.
43
44 In read-only mode, you can use it when the system is running. Only the
45 write test (option -n) refuses to run if partitions are mounted from the
46 drive. So I'd do the 'badblocks -sv /dev/hda' right now, if you do not
47 need the drive at full speed for a while. You can interrupt it at any
48 point with Ctrl-Z and continue with the fg command.
49
50 > Maybe I should just get a new drive that supports SMART?
51
52 When the drive is that old it does not support SMART, you probably can get
53 one ten times as huge for much less than it had cost you. And I would
54 trust a new drive much more than such an old one. Depends on how important
55 the data is, if a total loss would not be too painful and I had backups,
56 and I would not need more speed and size, I would keep it if it shows no
57 errors.
58
59 Wonko