From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 00:45:25
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Merry Christmas to all.
4 >
5 > Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
6 > 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
7 > are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
8 > written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
9 > anything like that.
10 >
11 > This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
12 > every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
13 > unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
14 >
15 > With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
16 > I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Mark
22 I use ext4 for my videos, ranging from ~150 MB to ~20 GB. It's very
23 painless and is included directly in the kernel. I went on a very
24 long search for the "best" filesystem for videos and thought to myself
25 the only problem I was having was imaginary, ext4 is fine.
28 Alecks