From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, henninb@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb2 hard drive
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:17:42
1 On 11/28/05, Brian Henning <henninb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Greeting,
3 >
4 > I am trying to get my USB2 external 200 gig ext2fs formated hard drive
5 > to mount in Gentoo.
6 >
7 > I have tried emerging coldplug and rebooting and i am able to
8 > successfully mount the drive as /dev/sda1, but the coldplug causes my
9 > network card to not work (can't even ping).
10 > emerge coldplug
11 > rc-update add coldplug default
12
13 Well, the one 'dangerous' thing that the coldplug rc script does is to
14 extract /lib/firmware.tar.bz2 if it exists. If the tarball exists on
15 your system (it should not), this could potentially overwrite some
16 firmware file required for your network adapter.
17
18 Other than that, some dmesg output would be helpful. Also, if the
19 driver for your network card is configured as a module, try reloading
20 it and see what you get from dmesg.
21
22 > Could someone give me some advice on a different approach to mounting
23 > this device or give me a suggestion to fix my networking issue?
24
25 FYI, coldplug is probably not necessary. It's main use is to run the
26 /etc/hotplug/*.rc scripts at bootup for hot-pluggable devices
27 connected before the hotplug agent is setup correctly. If you connect
28 or power on the USB drive after the system is booted, coldplug has no
29 effect.
30
31 Please
32 > email me directly as, I do not receive emails from the list.
33
34 I have cc'd you and the list. Please only reply to the list.
35
36 -Richard
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list