From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:32:28
1 Róbert Èeròanský writes:
2
3 > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:01:07 +0100
4 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > > pvcreate /dev/sda5
7 > > vgcreate myvg /dev/sda5
8 > > lvcreate -n usr -L 10G myvg
9 > > mke2fs -j /dev/myvg/usr
10 > >
11 > > Of course, just using /dev/sda5 for /usr is simpler. But what if this
12 > > turns out to be too small? With so many partitions I would think this
13 > > is very likely to happen sooner or later. With LVM, all you'd have to
14 > > do is:
15 > >
16 > > lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/usr
17 > > resize2fs /dev/myvg/usr
18 >
19 > Here I do not understand from where this +1G is taken? Don't you have
20 > to make something smaller by 1G first?
21
22 I assumed that /dev/sda5 is large enough and has free space that is not
23 being used for logical volumes. The lvcreate -L 10G step creates a
24 logical volume of 10 GB size, the rest of the volume group (that is using
25 the physical volume /dev/sda5) is being unused. You can create other
26 logical volumes with lvcreate, or extend existing ones, until all of that
27 space is being used. Then, you need to make something smaller of course
28 (which can be done), or you can extend your volume group by another
29 partition. Which may be on the same drive, or even on another one.
30
31 pvcreate /dev/sda6
32 vgextend myvg /dev/sda6
33 lvresize...