From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:56:04
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [11-01-21 21:44]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >
4 > >Last thing which remains is: Why does the help of the kernel says
5 > >to both AHCI-settings: "If unsure, say N"... ?
10 > I just built a rig with a Gigabyte mobo. Mine has setting like yours.
11 > I asked on here and was told that AHCI is the "new way" to do things.
12 > So, I set mine to that and it has worked fine.
13 >
14 > The only issue I did have is not being able to boot from a CD/DVD with
15 > it set to AHCI. No idea why that matters. My DVD drive is SATA too.
16 > I need to play with that more later on. See if it was that or
17 > something else that I missed. Thought I would mention that just in
18 > case you try to boot a CD or something and get a nasty error message or
19 > something. May want to file that in the back of your brain for future
20 > reference.
21 >
22 > Dale
23 >
24 > :-) :-)
27 Hi Dale,
28
29 *IDEA*
30
31 Mark said, that the kernel alone is defining, whether to talk AHCI or
32 IDE to the harddisk and there is not a single result here from my
33 experiments, that makes me believe, that Mark is wrong with that...
34
35 Why not to switch back to IDE in the BIOS, which again makes it
36 possible to boot from USB/DVD since it is used far before the
37 kernel image takes over.
38
39 When the kernel boots, the chips are "brainwashed" and after that they are
40 "thinking AHCI" instead of IDE....
41
42 ? may be an option ?
43