From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to downgrade to old fetching indicator?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:09:51
1 > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 >> Hi!
3 >>
4 >> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
5 >> multiple lines)?
6 >
7 > This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
8 > what's going on.
9 >
10 > 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used - it's
11 > FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command line
12 > produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
13 > FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence this
14 > behaviour.
15 >
16 > It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
17 > make.conf...
18
19 Perhaps you did not read wget's info page ?
20 Please read the following excerpt to the end
21
22 `--progress=TYPE'
23 Select the type of the progress indicator you wish to use. Legal
24 indicators are "dot" and "bar".
25
26 The "bar" indicator is used by default. It draws an ASCII progress
27 bar graphics (a.k.a "thermometer" display) indicating the status of
28 retrieval. If the output is not a TTY, the "dot" bar will be used
29 by default.
30
31 Use `--progress=dot' to switch to the "dot" display. It traces
32 the retrieval by printing dots on the screen, each dot
33 representing a fixed amount of downloaded data.
34
35 When using the dotted retrieval, you may also set the "style" by
36 specifying the type as `dot:STYLE'. Different styles assign
37 different meaning to one dot. With the `default' style each dot
38 represents 1K, there are ten dots in a cluster and 50 dots in a
39 line. The `binary' style has a more "computer"-like
40 orientation--8K dots, 16-dots clusters and 48 dots per line (which
41 makes for 384K lines). The `mega' style is suitable for
42 downloading very large files--each dot represents 64K retrieved,
43 there are eight dots in a cluster, and 48 dots on each line (so
44 each line contains 3M).
45
46 Note that you can set the default style using the `progress'
47 command in `.wgetrc'. That setting may be overridden from the
48 command line. The exception is that, when the output is not a
49 TTY, the "dot" progress will be favored over "bar". To force the
50 bar output, use `--progress=bar:force'.
51
52 So you can try --progress=bar:force
53
54 I personally like --progress=dot. And when I download huge files like CD images,
55 I use wget -b --limit-rate=<MY_DESIRED_RATE_LIMIT> --progress=dot:mega
56 'http://example.com/foo.tar.lzma'
59 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds