From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving drive to another sata port.
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:38:49
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:13 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm planning to change some connections while swapping and wanted to be
4 >> sure of something before I do any moves like this. Let's say I move sdc
5 >> and it becomes sdb. Will LVM still see it the same way?
6 > Yes. At least by default LVM is going to scan all your drives looking
7 > for LVM PVs and will identify them regardless of what device they are
8 > on, as long as the device gets scanned.
9 >
10 >> I suspect it
11 >> tracks the drive by the UUID which stays the same no matter what port or
12 >> sd letter it gets BUT I want to be sure.
13 > It uses a UUID stored in the PV metadata. So, as long as you don't
14 > confuse it by going and making copies of drives (which duplicates the
15 > ID) without using the LVM tools you'll be fine.
16
17 That's good to know.  I thought it worked that way.
18
19 >> Am I correct that changing what drive
20 >> connects to what sata port won't matter to LVM and how it sees them?
21 > Yes
22 >
23 >> Also, what if I connect one to the PCIe card I have? Will it still see
24 >> it the same way?
25 > Yes, in general. The only time you might have an issue is if you use
26 > something more exotic that creates a block device that might not get
27 > scanned by default, but I believe that is just a configuration fix.
28 > So, if you're using iSCSI or something maybe you might need to do a
29 > little work.
30
31 It's just a plain sata card so nothing fancy.  According to lspci, it
32 sees the card.  I haven't actually hooked a drive to it yet tho.
35 >> Also, I found a wonderful guide for my upcoming move. It is located here:
36 >>
37 >> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html
38 >>
39 >> Scroll down a bit to: 13.5.2. Distributing Old Extents to a New
40 >> Replacement Disk
41 >>
42 >> That covers exactly what I am doing. Even tho Grant and others say it
43 >> is that easy, I still find it hard to believe. O_0 I sure am glad I
44 >> was talked into using LVM. I think it was Alan that first mentioned it
45 >> but not sure.
46 > You wouldn't do this if you're just moving physical disks from one
47 > physical interface to another.
48 >
49 > However, if you wanted to migrate data off of one disk and onto
50 > another, this is exactly what you would do, and this is exactly why
51 > everybody always advises people to use LVM (or something like
52 > zfs/btrfs with similar capabilities). It makes moving data around
53 > almost trivial. You can migrate your data while your system is in-use
54 > and it isn't a problem at all.
55
56 I'm actually replacing a 3TB drive with a 6TB drive.  So, while I'm also
57 moving drives from one sata port to another, I'll also be replacing a
58 hard drive as well.  I'm at just over 70%.  It won't be long until it
59 starts getting to full.
62 >> P. S. I'm still copying over my /home to the new 8TB backup drive.
63 >> While it is copying at speeds of 20MBs/sec for some files to as high as
64 >> 160MBs/sec for other files, it takes a long time with that much data.
65 >> It is running at a much better speed than it was when I started the
66 >> other thread.
67 > LVM would migrate data more quickly than a filesystem copy, because it
68 > is doing it at the block level. So, it doesn't matter whether a block
69 > contains 1000 small files or part of one huge file, or filesystem
70 > metadata. The only thing that should slow down LVM moves would be
71 > disk activity, and I believe you can tune its priority (do you want to
72 > slow down disk access, or LVM copying?).
73 >
74 > With a filesystem copy small files will kill your performance in most
75 > cases, with some filesystems being better than others.
78 Well, I'm making a backup of /home just in case something goes wrong.
79 While I don't plan to change anything, hardware wise, with the drive my
80 OS is on, I plan to backup /etc and my world file as well.  Just in
81 case.  ;-)
82
83 Thanks for confirming how LVM works.  At least I am reassured that I can
84 move things around a bit.
85
86 Dale
87