From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 11:32:35
1 On 07/01/19 10:46, Dale wrote:
2 > From what I've read, that can be overcome. If you get say a SMART
3 > message that a drive is failing,
4
5 Yup, I have to agree that SMART isn't always reliable, but if you
6 *monitor* it, it should give plenty of warning of the recording medium
7 failing ...
8
9 > just remove that drive or remove the
10 > whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup can
11 > be made. Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still works, to
12 > the new drive. That is basically what I did when I swapped a smaller
13 > drive for a larger one. I moved the data from one drive to another. It
14 > did it fairly quickly. Someone posted that it may even be faster to do
15 > it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync. I don't know how true
16 > that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really efficiently.
17
18 Point is, it works at a different level. Both cp and rsync are NOT
19 guaranteed to copy your filesystem accurately - mine is full of hard
20 links and that will give both those two a hard and nasty time.
21
22 LVM copies the block device underneath the file system, so it is less
23 efficient in that it will copy 3GB if you have a 3GB partition, but it
24 is far simpler in that it neither knows nor cares what the file system
25 is doing at the next level up. Give a file-system like mine to "cp -a"
26 and it'll bring the system to its knees trying to keep track of where
27 everything is.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol