From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal Gentoo installation
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:21:27
1 On 19:42 Thu 27 Sep , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
2 > Hi ppl,
3 >
4 > My basic idea is to have chroot-ed environment which will be the full
5 > system and then to install separate system with only minimal stuff (without
6 > gcc, portage, ...). When I need to update the minimal system I will first
7 > update the chrooted one and the emerge the updates onto the new one.
8
9 What it sounds like you want is an LFS system. Look at the -B option for
10 emerge. That may have some of what you are looking for.
11
12 > I wanted to ask if somebody has done something like this, is something like
13 > this possible and are there any wiki's or howto's on this topic. I've tried
14 > searching through the handbook and google-ing but had no luck.
15
16 I thought about doing this once before, but what is going to make the
17 diffrence is how minimal you want the system. Are we talking a kernel +
18 [ba|z]sh + coreutils or are we talking a tiny Apache server?
19
20 If you want the absolute minimal, then I would look some into LFS since
21 Gentoo wants to install so much by default (gcc, bash, coreutils, wget,
22 ect).
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list