From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge all but...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:57:40
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
6 >> I mentioned this on -dev once when this topic came up. Thing is, portage is
7 >> not the only package manager being used.
8 >>
9 > That's an important point.
12 >> Personally I think portage should
13 >> be the official package manager and if you chose to use something else, you
14 >> should know what not to do to the system.
15 >>
16 > Unofficially I think it is! ;-)
19 Going by a few folks on -dev, I sometimes wonder if portage even
20 exists. Sort of making a mountain out of a mole hill there.
24 >> Portage requires python but I
25 >> think one of the other package managers uses C or something. Remove C on my
26 >> rig, no big deal as far as being able to boot and re-emerge a package.
27 >>
28 > Careful. Can you really emerge gcc without at least one version of gcc
29 > on the system? I didn't think so unless you've got access to a binary
30 > somewhere, such as the install tarball or something like that. Even
31 > that could be a problem. I did some cleanup a few years ago that
32 > removed an old version of gcc and found I couldn't build anything
33 > anymore. Embarrassing!
36 Most likely not but you can't emerge anything without python either.
37 Yet some have emerge -C python a few times. I read where one even
38 removed portage. I'm not sure how a person can think portage will work
39 if you remove it. o_O
43 >> Do
44 >> it on a system with some other package manager and you are in a mess. Point
45 >> being, it's sort of hard for them to list them since it depends on what
46 >> package manager you are using.
49 > True, and a more experienced user can use equery, among other tools,
50 > to determine what dependencies a package has. Problem was my previous
51 > answer didn't mention that.
54 Ahhh, but equery isn't always right either. That has been shown on
55 this list before. It's a good tool but I wouldn't want to put my life
56 in its hands.
59 >> There are some packages I installed and still don't know much about. lol
60 >> Sort of funny in a way. Most of them "just work" so we don't need to know
61 >> much about them.
62 >>
63 > Actually, for me it's _most_ packages I know NOTHING about. This
64 > machine has XFCE, Gnome and KDE. It has only 38 packages in the world
65 > file and yet emerge -e @world would build 970 packages. That's a LOT
66 > of unknown stuff for a user type like me to know anything about! (Or
67 > honestly, I probably know _NOTHING_ at all about at least 900 of those
68 > packages...)
69 >
70 > Cheers,
71 > Mark
75 I got more in my world file but you have more packages. Sort of odd in
76 a way.
77
78 Packages installed: 945
79 Packages in world: 76