From: Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas <ronisbr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage GUI interfaces...
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 06:09:10
1 Hello fellow,
2
3 Me and Locke Shinseiko are developing a graphical tool to make portage daily
4 tasks easier. It is called KPortageTray and you can find it on app-
5 portage/kportagetray at kde overlay.
6
7 It doesn't have a version relased yet, only git, because we need to implement
8 some features and correct some bugs to make it good to use with KDE 4.4.
9
10 My idea was a very different approach of himerge, portato, porthole, etc.
11 I decided to use a very simple approach: it is a program that stays on systray
12 and when you choose some action, it opens the konsole with the command you
13 want using kdesu for root access. So, if you click at "upgrade world", it will
14 open a konsole with kdesu and will run "emerge -vaNDu world". This is because
15 the GUI may introduce an instability point at every process, since it can
16 crash and make the upgrade process fail. Sabayon has a similar tool (sulfur)
17 and users and devs advice to use it only for minor upgrades. So, with
18 kportagetray, when konsole is opened, the process is totally detached from the
19 GUI. Consequently, you can even close kportagetray without interrupting the
20 selected action.
21
22 It won't substitute the entire CLI of portage, but it is aimed for people who
23 is tired to type the same commands every time to upgrade the system or do
24 something else.
25
26 I'm implementing some stuff to make life easier, like a periodic upgrade
27 checks with a system message on systray (like Windows update program and
28 sabayon system).
29
30 When we get something good for daily use, I'll let you know.
31
32 Regards,
33 --
34 Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas