From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Will installing grub-2.02 break my grub-0.97 setup?
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 14:47:49
1 On 2016-05-06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> I'd like to to install winusb, and it appears to depend on grub-2:
5 >> $ sudo emerge -av winusb
6 >
7 > Ok, so I've never used winusb, so excuse me for asking a few dumb
8 > questions here. Even after reading a bit and searching around, I
9 > have these dumb questions. I did not find sufficient reading
10 > materials to 'turn the light on' as to when and why and how this
11 > winusb is used.
12 >
13 > 1. So winusb can put a window (vista-->8) image on a usbstick that will
14 > boot most x86 orx86-64 hardware with the appropriate windows binary?
15 > The hardware can then be installed with the windows image?
16
17 That's my understanding. [I haven't actually done it yet.]
18
19 Many of the machines I use no longer have (working) optical
20 drives. When doing OS installs I almost always use USB flash drives.
21 I've been doing Linux installs that way for yonks. Most Linux OS
22 distro .iso images are already "hybrid" so they boot as-is from a
23 block storage device. In my experience, those that aren't can be
24 fixed up with a simple "isohybrid" command.
25
26 Now I want to stop buring Windows DVDs.
27
28 > 2. winusb can be used as a live_windows on a linux system where
29 > changes are retain on the usb stick?
30
31 No, I don't think so.
32
33 > 3. winusb can be used to install windows in a VM?
34
35 Presumably -- if you can boot the VM from a USB storage device.
36
37 > 4. winusb can be used to install windows in a container?
38
39 I don't know enough about containers to posit an answer.
42 Grant