From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode updates for "old" Intel CPU's
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:55:11
1 On Sunday, 7 January 2018 20:46:52 GMT Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > I have several sandy/ivybridge CPU's and I was wondering if anyone knows
3 > as to if intel is releasing microcode updates for them.
4 >
5 > It sure would be funny if intel wanted you to buy a new CPU to fix a
6 > problem that was their fault to begin with.
7
8 As I found explained elsewhere, what can be done with microcode
9 updates is actually very limited. It was claimed that most often Intel
10 would use updates to disable features, permanently, and could not do
11 much more with microcode. This agrees with my understanding of
12 electronics, though I originally did think that slightly more was
13 possible. Perhaps they could disable some cache functionality or
14 speculative execution, but you would still be left with the
15 performance penalties of most of the code-based fixes.
16
17 In any case, using my original expectations, I would not expect them
18 to be able to modify the behavior of the execution units in such a
19 fundamental way. If great changes are possible with microcode then
20 Intel's processors are actually closer to FPGAs, which I do not think
21 is likely, as FPGAs are very power and space inefficient.