From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal / stand-alone mail daemon?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:10:36
1 On Monday 16 Jan 2017 16:51:16 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > Hello again,
3 >
4 > it's no secret that I'm partial to the Exim MTA and I love to teach it
5 > new tricks. However running Exim on a workstation (mobile or not) is
6 > serious overkill. Exim compares to sendmail in power but also in the
7 > complexity of its configuration. Most of this power is wasted when all
8 > it's doing is delivering output from cron and at. Perhaps more
9 > importantly, though, it tends to assume its host is always online and
10 > DNS is available to resolve arbitrary domain names; this can cause
11 > misbehavior when the assumption fails. I just made a change in the
12 > configuration and suddenly my desktop started stalling for 20 seconds on
13 > boot; my investigation, which was longer than I'd have liked, showed
14 > that it was due to dnsmasq trying to answer a query from Exim - and
15 > failing because the network interface was not fully up when the query
16 > was made.
17
18 I don't have exim installed anywhere at present to try it out, but here's some
19 ideas I would look further into:
20
21 Assuming the reverse DNS lookups are not that many (i.e. some local hosts
22 only) have you tried adding them to the /etc/hosts file? I hope this would
23 speed things up.
24
25 Another thing to try is edit the openrc start up script for exim and add a
26 'needed' dependency for ethernet. It will hopefully wait until the network is
27 up, before it launches exim.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick