From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:51:58
1 On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:55:11 -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2
3 > I'm actually speaking from experience here: the first thing
4 > I did on my Inspiron was wipe the HD and install Gentoo,
5 > only to learn that the wireless card was faulty. And since I
6 > could not run the standard Windows diagnostics they couldn't
7 > (wouldn't?) help me.
8 >
9 > So I booted the restore CD, put Windows back, and got a new
10 > NIC within about a week.
11
12 What would you have done if the hard drive had failed?
13
14 I always image the windows disk and then wipe it, but I'm aware that
15 this is not completely reliable. some failures make restoration
16 impossible.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Top Oxymorons Number 1: Microsoft Works