From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:54:52
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:09:24 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I'm getting a Kindle Fire in a few days. While I didn't get it
6 >>> specifically to watch movies looking at the specs it does apparently
7 >>> handle mp4 as a video format and they state online that you can watch
8 >>> streaming movies & TV shows from Amazon's servers.
9 >>
10 >> You may not need to bother with transcoding. I looked at this for my Asus
11 >> Transformer and spent time with mencoder settings etc trying to get the
12 >> right format for the Android supported video formats. Then I discovered
13 >> Moboplayer in the android market, that uses software decoding to play
14 >> just about anything, so I just rip the DVD titles as MPEG2, no
15 >> transcoding needed at all. If the Fire's CPU can handle software
16 >> decoding, this is a much simpler, and higher quality, solution.
19 >> --
20 >> Neil Bothwick
21 >
22 > Thanks for the ideas Neil. I'll keep it in mind. I'm not the least bit
23 > clear whether there will be the equivalent of the Android market for
24 > the Fire, at least early on. Long term I suspect there might be, but
25 > at this point I don't know how open Amazon intends to make the device.
26 >
27 > What do you use to rip DVDs to MPEG2? dvdrip? Some command line app?
28
29 On Ubuntu, I used the dvdrip package, as I could run it under screen
30 and churn through five DVD-ROM drives, one to an instance. I don't
31 know where that sits on Gentoo, though.
34 :wq