From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disable fcron logging
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:31:52
1 Stroller writes:
2
3 > On 22 Aug 2010, at 22:39, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> Stroller writes:
5 >>
6 >>> The script with which you reply is missing the sleep 60 loop.
7 >>
8 >> No, it's only the script that outputs the drive's state. It's called
9 >> by ~/.kde4/Autostart/hdstate:
10 >>
11 >> #!/bin/bash
12 >>
13 >> while :
14 >> do
15 >> /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> ~/log/hdstate.log
16 >> sleep 10
17 >> done
18 >
19 > You wrote to the list telling us that you were running a script from
20 > cron every minute, and that this was causing your log file to fill up
21 > with messages from cron.
22 >
23 > That is what I replied to.
24
25 Yes, I know. You had the good idea of simply putting the script into a
26 loop, and I actually followed your advice by now. When I posted my first
27 script in response to yours, I just wanted to show how I got the
28 relevant information in a more convenient format, using hdparm and
29 hddtemp, than using the direct output of smartctl. Just in case someone
30 else also likes this. Of yourse the outer loop was missing, but I did
31 not bother to add this trivial addition just for the posting here. It's
32 just the script I was already using in cron. And later in the posting I
33 mentioned that the script itself should be run in a loop instead of
34 cron, also because I could decrease the update interval.
35
36 Sorry, I probably should have made clear that the original question was
37 sort of solved.
38
39 > Please do not move the goalposts halfway through the thread, and make
40 > it about something else unrelated. That is the perfect way to annoy
41 > people who are trying to help you.
42
43 I'm sorry about this, I did not mean to annoy anyone. But I still do not
44 really seewhat the problem is. You had the idea to do this without cron,
45 and so I did. Well, I forgot a 'thank you' for the loop idea, this is
46 true. Sorry again. Your ideas were appreciated as always.
47
48 Wonko