From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XFCE weather plugin does not work
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:28:28
1 On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 20:07:22 +0100
2 David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 20:58:40 +0300, Gevisz (gevisz@×××××.com) wrote
5 > about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: XFCE weather plugin does not work" (in
6 > <5442aa74.8212980a.2836.7866@×××××××××.com>):
7 >
8 > > On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 17:18:34 +0100
9 > > David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
10 > [snip]
11 > >> You're welcome. The Xfce developers did the hard yakka, I simply
12 > >> massaged the patches so that they would apply cleanly on Gentoo systems.
13 > >
14 > > Thank you anyway. :)
15 > >
16 > > But may I ask you if applying those patches could result
17 > > in disappearing an alternative keyboard layout?
18 >
19 > There is nothing in those patches that can affect keyboard
20 > configuration. The patches only handle data received over a HTTP
21 > connection to the Norwegian Meteorological Institute. No keyboard stuff
22 > at all.
23 >
24 > >> If you modify the ebuild then you *must* update the manifest. If you
25 > >> don't modify the ebuild then there is no need.
26 > >
27 > > Do you mean that putting the patches into /etc/portage/patches/ directory
28 > > and emerging the packet does not change the corresponding ebuild?
29 >
30 > The ebuild is a small text file that scripts the build process. The
31 > patches are external files to this process. As a result, the patches do
32 > not affect the MD5 checksum for the ebuild file in the package's manifest.
33 >
34 > > According to my experience, it is not the case because, reemerging the
35 > > xfce4-weather-plugin with the patches deleted from /etc/portage/patches/
36 > > directory, I've still got the working plugin and, only after unmerging it
37 > > and re-emerging it again without the patches, I returned to its "no-data"
38 > > condition.
39 >
40 > If it remained working then it was probably because you remained logged
41 > in to your Xfce desktop, which has the plugin cached inside the Xfce
42 > panel's address space.
43
44 May be.