From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Smart Database
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:13:14
1 Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Hi guys,
4 >
5 > I want to update my gentoo install to use the latest trunk version
6 > of the smartmontools drive database.
7 >
8 > Does anyone have any gentoo orientated guidance here? I have spoken
9 > to the chaps there and they say to run configure with
10 > '--enable-drivedb' and then copy over the the current SVN version of
11 > drivedb.h to DATADIR/smartmontools
12 >
13 > But i wonder where this fits into the wonderful world of gentoo and
14 > package management/
15
16 First... is the svn version really different than the ~<ARCHITECTURE>
17 version on portage?.. that is version 5.39
18
19 You can get that version by putting an tilde followed by your machine
20 architecture (on the cmd line if you don't want to run as development
21 version always) otherwise in /etc/make.conf
22 for x86 it would look like:
23
24 ~x86
25
26 Then you can add you configure argument (--enable-drivedb) using the
27 EXTRA_ECONF flag. Which will tell gentoo to use that flag at
28 `./configure' time.
29
30 So the emerge command line would be something like this:
31
32 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' EXTRA_ECONF='--enable-drivedb' \
33 emerge -v smartmontools
34
35 (all on one line would be best)
36
37 Now if you really need to introduce drivedb.h from svn repostory then
38 you will need to go the overlay route... I think. Someone more
39 knowledgable will be able to correct me .. I'm sure.
40
41 That process involves installing your own separate portage in some
42 other directory (/usr/local/portage) and using ebuild commands to
43 build your own version.
44
45 You would need to install `layman' for starters
46
47 In that case you could introduce any commands or files you like, and
48 process them with `ebuild'.
49
50 The process is not all that hard, but I better leave an explanation of
51 how to do it to someone here who is more familiar with it.
52
53 I've done it but only rarely... and last time was a while ago.