From: Ben Kelly <bkelly@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why can't kernel-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 see my root partition?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:55:09
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.19-gentoo-r6 this morning. I used
3 > genkernel. I followed these steps:
4 >
5 > Deleted the /usr/src/linux symlink and recreated it point
6 > to /usr/src/2.6.19-gentoo-r5
7 > zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.6
8 > genkernel all
9 >
10 > After it successfully built, I opened up my /boot/grub/grub.conf file in
11 > vim and copied the entry lines for the old kernel I was using
12 > (2.6.18-gentoo-r6 - also created with genkernel) and changed the numbers
13 > to reflect the new kernel on the title, kernel, and initrd lines.
14 > However when I attempt to boot up with the new kernel, it goes through
15 > its usual device checks, and then right when it should say "Booting
16 > initramfs-{xxxx}", it says "/dev/sda6 is not a suitable root
17 > device." (or something like that) and offers me either a chance to enter
18 > the root device, or a shell. I asked for the shell. I did ls and saw a
19 > directory structure seemingly similar to my / on my root partition, but
20 > when I did ls /dev I didn't see any sda devices (or an other s* devices
21 > for that matter). What's gone wrong, and what do I do to fix it? Below
22 > is my /boot/grub/grub.conf:
23
24 I ran into a similar problem when upgrading. It looked to me like the
25 SATA device configuration variables had been changed or renamed. This
26 caused me to lose all my SATA modules when I rebuilt. After I went in
27 and explicitly added the new SATA drivers into the config the machine
28 could boot again.
29
30 Hope that helps.
31