From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless: Limit rate to strengthen connection?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:16:17
1 On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
3 > feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
4 >
5 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
6 >
7 > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
8 > work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
9 > time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
10 > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
11 > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
12 >
13 > Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
14 > that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
15 >
16 > - Grant
17
18 It might but it didn't for me. I eventually bought 4 of these LinkSys
19 Wireless Access Point units and placed them in strategic locations to
20 get around the problems I was having.
21
22 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124012
23
24 They have worked very well for me but occasionally I have folks in my
25 neighborhood getting attached to my network and I have to forcibly
26 drive them off. I run these in their 'bridging' mode and don't use any
27 Linux wireless. All my Gentoo machines use wired networks talking to
28 these boxes or the router directly.
29
30 Hope this helps,
31 Mark