From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] which keymap and keyboard setup
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 21:34:02
1 Hi,
2
3 which keymap are we supposed to use for a keyboard that has 122 keys?
4 And which keyboard type are we supposed to specify? There's pc_102,
5 pc_105 and whatnot; is there such a thing as pc_122, too?
6
7 So far, I plugged the keyboard in (it's USB) and it has a layout I can
8 expect (which is kinda amazing), so I'm typing on it now. What I
9 want is a keyboard configuration that corresponds to the labels on the
10 keys (which is an US layout) as a starting point, and a way to switch
11 between the US layout and a layout adapted to German. Most of what I
12 type is in English, and the US layout is much better suited for
13 programming, so for the few cases I do need the extra keys required for
14 German, I want to be able to switch layouts by pressing a key. That
15 goes for both console and X11 --- my experience is that you first have
16 to get the keyboard set up correctly for the console before you have a
17 chance to get it to fully work with X11.
20 The keyboard shows up as: "Unicomp Inc. Surf Ruffian USB 122 Keyboard v
21 2.50". Xev shows that the function keys F13--F24 yield the same scan
22 codes as F1--F12. I still have a 105 key PS/2 keyboard plugged in, and
23 nothing is prepared for the 122 key keyboard, so that might limit what
24 scan codes are being seen.
27 BTW, this keyboard is awesome. It's just as if you had a Model M, but
28 still new, and there isn't anything better available new. I've been
29 using those for about 20 years now and wanted a new one since quite a
30 while, now finally managed to get a Unicomp ... Get one if you can; live
31 is too short for bad keyboards.
35 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
36 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.