From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:29:15
1 On Thu, Jun 25 2015, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:36:36 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >
5 >> > The XPS 13 at least is available as a "Developer Edition" that comes
6 >> > with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instead of Windows.
7 >>
8 >> I "dual boot" windows and gentoo. The quotes are there since my current
9 >> machine (3 years old) has never been in windows post-installation. The
10 >> advantage of having windows available occurs if you need dell
11 >> maintenance.
12 >
13 > Which is a rather poor reason for keeping Windows around. The Ubuntu
14 > version is not significantly cheaper, but it would make dealing with
15 > support that much easier if the machine was supposed to have Linux on it
16 > in the first place.
17
18 The cost (after purchase) is a few 10s of GB of disk. Dell's remote hw
19 diagnostics work well when you boot windows. My wife's machine is dell
20 windows-only and she did make use of dell maintenance.
21
22 That said, in order to confirm linux support for the various hardware
23 pieces, I did temporarily select ubuntu. The result was that Wi-Gig
24 wireless and LCD screen are not supported so I changed to the non Wi-Gig
25 versions.
26
27 allan