From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken systems -- PLEASE HELP
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:35:45
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 23:48, Jonathan Chocron <jonathan.chocron@××××.fr>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken
3 systems -- PLEASE HELP':
4 > Le Mercredi 17 Mai 2006 18:01, Jeremy Olexa a écrit :
5 > > I would start with the defaults, eg. leave USE="" (blank) in make.conf
6 > > and then start editing package.use to modify them from there. type
7 > > emerge --info to see ALL of the use flags that are being used
8 >
9 > Yes, USE="" is a good start. However, one has to take into account that
10 > portage adds use flags while going through the emerge process. For
11 > example, if you install mysql in order to use it with amaroK, mysql
12 > would, after that emerge be turned on as a global useflag.
13
14 Actually, there was some noise about this and I believe it (auto-USE) has
15 gone away. It was confusing to new users and poorly documented.
18 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
19 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
20 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
21 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh