From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Did I just get hacked???
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:40:08
1 > > A good rootkit will install a "ps" that won't show the 'bot
2 > > processes. The one time a machine of mine got hacked, netstat
3 > > still worked, but I don't know why a hacked netstat couldn't be
4 > > installed as well.
5 >
6 > > Looking through /proc/˜pid> is probably still reliable.
9 > Hello Grant,
10 >
11 > I keep an old portable around, running wireshark and a flat hub.
12 > You can set your ethernet address to 0.0.0.0 and fire up wireshark.
13 >
14 > You can then sniff any (ethernet) segment of your network for
15 > nefarious traffic or male-configured network applictions.
16
17 Ok, it sounds like the key to figuring this out is watching the
18 outgoing network traffic for weird stuff. eth0 is on the WAN and
19 wireless ath0 is on the local subnet. How would you monitor the
20 outgoing traffic considering my setup?
21
22 - Grant