From: LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:52:03
1 On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I just want to say that I love Gentoo Linux, have used it as my
5 > primary OS for years on multiple computers and can't stand to use
6 > anything else. I like having total control over everything. I truly
7 > enjoy it, the Gentoo Way just feels like "the right way" in general to
8 > me. That is my subjective opinion.
9
10 > But I also want to say that just because you're forced to do things
11 > yourself doesn't mean that makes them inherently better-performing or
12 > secure. :) One can just as easily screw up their CFLAGS and a have
13 > terrible security setup, especially a beginner. This list's archives
14 > are full of such stories...
15
16 > I say install a binary distro to get your feet wet with Linux.
17 > Understand the basic concepts of how the system works, using a shell,
18 > editing config files, etc. Once that's not a 100% foreign experience
19 > to you, then go and install Gentoo using the great docs, wikis,
20 > forums, mailing lists and IRC as your guide, and we can be your
21 > hand-holding friends along the way.
22
23 > I would also suggest using a virtual machine for your first
24 > installations. It will make it a lot less scary. You messed up
25 > partitioning? No problem, you didn't just destroy your Windows
26 > installation or your life-long collection of digital photos (that you
27 > probably never got around to making a backup of).
28
29 > As a newbie to Linux, comparing distros is usually equivalent to
30 > comparing the default desktop environment, wallpaper and color scheme.
31 > They don't know enough to care about bootloader, filesystem layout,
32 > LVM, package manager, or whatever holy wars linux distros are having
33 > these days. :)
34
35 > A beginner can certainly follow along the Gentoo install docs, but I
36 > think it takes a certain kind of person to tolerate it... Blindly
37 > copy-pasting commands that they don't understand isn't necessarily
38 > going to teach them anything. Not any more than blindly copy-pasting
39 > example code from a programming textbook makes you a programmer...
40 > Having at least some basic understand of the commands you're typing in
41 > will greatly enhance the experience, in my opinion.
42
43 Nice suggestions.
44
45 > Good luck to the OP, whatever he chooses. Welcome to the dark side. :)
46
47 Thanks.