From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CMYK comparison to sRGB between platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:06:48
1 On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On the same hardware I noticed that a CMYK photograph converted to sRGB looked
3 > mostly the same (indistinguishable) on Linux, but the sRGB colours were
4 > brighter on MSWindows.
7 If everything is working correctly then the CMYK original and sRGB
8 copy should look identical, with the exception of any out-of-gamut
9 colors (as I understand it, very little of CYMK is out-of-gamut for
10 sRGB).
11
12 If they're not identical then something is wrong, so I wouldn't assume
13 that Linux is at fault (though it could be if the file looks wrong
14 when created on Linux and viewed on another OS, and both OSes are
15 using calibration).
16
17 Imagine if your original email read like this:
18
19 On the same hardware I noticed that when I saved my simple OpenOffice
20 document in MS Word format in Linux, and then opened the MS Word file,
21 the text was identical. I tried doing the same thing on both Windows
22 and OSX and in both cases there were lots of weird symbols in the text
23 of the document. What is wrong with my Linux OpenOffice program? Why
24 doesn't it mke my dcment lok lik ths like the other OSes?
25
26 or like this:
27
28 On the same hardware I noticed that when I copied a file from a fat32
29 USB stick to an ext4 USB stick the md5sum of the files remained
30 unchanged. However, if I perform the copy on OSX or Windows the
31 md5sum changes. What is wrong with my linux filesystem drivers? Why
32 doesn't it randomly modify my data when I try to copy it? And, darn
33 it, why does it seem like I never have to reboot the thing to keep it
34 from crashing?
35
36 Now if one OS or another isn't properly calibrated to your monitor the
37 same file could have different appearances, and if for whatever reason
38 your viewer for the CYMK file applies calibration data differently
39 than the viewer for the sRGB file that would also cause issues. So,
40 the problem might be in the viewing of the files, or in the
41 conversion. Based solely on the testing you performed I can't really
42 be sure which if any of your conversions are being done correctly.
43 The file might appear unchanged on Linux but it could be a result of
44 cancelling errors in the creation and rendering of the file.
45
46 However, since the whole goal of the conversion process is to avoid
47 making visible changes to the file to the greatest degree possible,
48 I'd tend to look at the other OSes for problems first.
51 Rich