From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:20:24
1 Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > Quoting Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>:
3 >
4 >>> Why? Does Gentoo forget how to do something? Why can't you just "set
5 >>> and forget" your Gentoo boxes?
6 >>
7 >> Gentoo is difficult to install.
8 >
9 > For who? And BTW, that doesn't answer the question.
10
11 Huh? I answered it right next in the next phrase.
14 >> Also, if it's left un-updated for
15 >> longer periods of time, it tends to break on the next update
16 >
17 > Maybe, but only if you go from abi-1 to abi-2. For example, you can't
18 > expect moving from gcc-2 to gcc-3 to gcc-4 being painless.
19
20 Indeed.
23 >> . I guess
24 >> that's the downside of being versionless. Debian on the other hand,
25 >> due to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.
26 >
27 > I can't move debian from tomato to lenny without problems.
28
29 I was lucky though and it worked. Anyway, that's not the point.
32 >>> set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
33 >>
34 >> I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
35 >> doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.
36 >
37 > Then something is wrong with your box or it isn't powerful enough.
38
39 It isn't.
42 > Works perfectly in mine.
43