From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: JMicron confusion
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:41:40
1 Ryan Sims wrote:
2 > On 9/29/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 9/29/06, Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > Let me rephrase my question: If I only use SATA drives, non RAID,
5 >> > they only run through the P975 southbridge, and I should be ok, right?
6 >>
7 >> Well I don't own one of these things, but it looks like the SATA stuff
8 >> goes through the JMicron chip, while the RAID is provided by the 975.
9 >
10 > I thought it was the other way around?
11 >
12 > Southbridge
13 > - 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
14 > JMicron(r) JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
15 > - 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
16 > - 1 x Internal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port
17 > - 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
18 > - Support SATA RAID 0, 1 and JBOD
19 >
20 > (from
21 > http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1178&l1=3&l2=11&l3=307)
24 > That seems to say that 4 SATA drives can go through the Southbridge
25 > (P965, typo earlier, sorry)
28 Yeah - looks like it is for that board - as it uses ICH8 for plain old
29 SATA and JMicron for RAID, other similar boards seem to use ICH8R for
30 RAID and JMicron for plain old SATA... just to add to the confusion :-)
31
32 Cheers
33
34 Mark