From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Whose bug is it? [was: hal greps my USB printer - help !]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:16:08
1 After a long search on the net I've found out
2 that the permissions of the usb device are set wrong
3 (root.usb)
4 It looks like an UDEV rule installed by sane-backends
5 sets the user to root and the group to usb.
6 With these settings CUPS won't recognize/use the printer.
7
8 I had to add the following rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
9 (e.g.)
10
11 ATTR{idVendor}=="0482", ATTR{idProduct}=="0015", MODE:="0777",
12 GROUP:="lp", USER:="lp", ENV{libsane_matched}:="yes"
13
14 where one has to vary the idVendor and idProduct, of course.
15
16 Even for a casual Gentoo user that's neither trivial nor comfortable.
17 If the printer breaks sometime one has to remember to change that rule.
18 And it wasn't easy to find that advice.
19
20 Where should I report a bug to ?
22 net-print/cups
23 or