From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VM Ware or not?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:13:30
1 Jerry McBride writes:
2
3 > I passed on vmware for my use as it is quite the overkill for my simple
4 > needs. Also, vmware does not currently run on the most recent kernels.
5 > And secondly, you only get to use it for 30 days... the vmware
6 > workstation evaluation copy that is.
7
8 Right, but you can use the vmware player for free with existing VMs. You
9 can even create VMs from scratch, there are some websites which offer
10 this, you fill in information about the OS, memory and such, and get a
11 config file you can use with the vmware player.
12
13 [..]
14 > allows is for you to setup your windows image anyway you want, then
15 > reload your qemu image with cow file support enabled... and any
16 > modifications made during your windows session is written to the cow
17 > file, not your windows image. If things get really, really hashed up,
18 > closeup Qemu... delete the cow file and start afresh... A perfect way
19 > to dump the worms, viri, malware, etc... or your accidentally hosed
20 > linux image...
21
22 With VMware, you can create snapshots of your VMs, and revert to older
23 ones if you like. Or you can use VMs in undoable mode, and decide whether
24 you want to keep the changes made since the VM was started.
27 I do not know qemu yet, but I guess it may be easier to setup. You are
28 right about the recent kernels, the vmware modules did not compile for me
29 several times until vmware released patches. Quite annoying. But apart
30 from that, vmware works quite well.
31
32 Wonko
33 --