From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:23:45
1 On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:54:06 +0900, SOrCErEr wrote:
2
3 > As you can see, result of eix has vigra, but of emerge still doesn't
4 > have. Also, many of flag U package is excepted from emerge --update.
5 >
6 > If so, I think Gentoo's world is not whole world.
7
8 No it's not. A world update affects only the packages you installed and
9 their dependencies.
10
11 > Package was installed and it needs to be update. But it's not in world.
12
13 Why does it need to update? Is your system not running correctly because
14 of this? I suspect you don't need vigra at all,that it was installed as a
15 dependency of a package you no longer have, or that no longer depends on
16 it. What does emerge --depclean -p show?
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 "Thou shalt not battle over operating systems. I am wise and in My wisdom
23 have created diverse and various operating systems."
24 The Ten Usenet Commandments: One