From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost /sbin/rc
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:16:20
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > deface wrote:
4 > > It sounds like the mistake was on your hand. baselayout isn't udated
5 > > as often, unless you are ~**. the missing files are from any
6 > > baselayout, not just the version you are stating.
7 > >
8 > > *** WARNING *** Depclean may break link level dependencies. Thus,
9 > > it is *** WARNING *** recommended to use a tool such as
10 > > `revdep-rebuild` (from *** WARNING *** app-portage/gentoolkit) in
11 > > order to detect such breakage.
12 [...]
13
14 > > Plenty of warning there. Not recommended to --depclean. UNLESS
15 > > absolutely necessary.
16
17 Well, it is not absolutely necessary, but I like to have a clean system
18 without a heap of old packages I do not need any more. And when I have
19 two baselayouts installed, I think it is best to remove the old one.
20
21 > Isn't baselayout part of system? Wouldn't --depclean leave that
22 > installed? Something sounds . . . fishy. I run --depclean and I don't
23 > recall it ever removing something in system.
24 >
25 > That said, always add a -p or -a to that thing. It can boo boo and
26 > remove something you need if you are not careful. I removed a kde
27 > thing once. No GUI for a bit.
28
29 Of course I did that. emerge --depclean showed me (along many other
30 things) two installed baselayouts, one to remove, the current one to
31 keep. And most of the things were kept, like man pages, but some
32 essential files were not.
33
34 Looking at emerge.log, I see that I had the old 1.7.8-r1 in parallel for
35 quite a while. For about three weeks, I had masked 1.12.10-r5, because I
36 wanted to stay with 1.12.9-r2 until I had physical access to the system.
37 I removed the mask, upgraded world, and did the depclean then.
38
39 Wonko
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list