From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on 8GB SSD
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 02:41:52
1 A friend recently gave me a SimpleTech Zeus 8GB SSD. I'd like to replace
2 my hard drive with this SSD for the lower latency and faster access
3 times it will provide.
4
5 Currently my / partition is 24GB, 20GB of which is in use. Using
6 xdiskusage I see that /usr/portage and /var/tmp are using approximately
7 10GB, which is well over the 7.5GB I have on the SSD.
8
9 So, I'm wondering what suggestions the list has for squeezing Gentoo
10 onto an SSD. I have another Gentoo box I could put /usr/portage on to
11 save myself some room on the SSD.
12
13 Aside from NFS mounting the package source and build directories, is
14 there anything else I can do to minimize the space needed? I'm not
15 running anything terribly fancy. I have DR17/enlightenment and XFCE
16 installed as window managers; along with some productivity applications.
17
18 Thanks for your feedback,
19 Hal Martin