From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:40:44
1 On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:53:47 +0100, lee wrote:
2
3 > > I would imagine because it cannot be used without some initial
4 > > configuration. The default provides the greatest reliability out of
5 > > the box, at the expense of less readable (which is not the same as
6 > > unrecognisable, a value judgement you are imposing on the names)
7 > > names.
8 >
9 > I call them unrecognisable because they are hard to recognise, as in
10 > hard to read and impossible to remember. I find that annoying. I can
11 > call them "annoying names" if you prefer that :)
12
13 I do, or "difficult to remember" or "cryptic", but they are not
14 unrecognisable - except to those that wish them to be.
15
16 > > There is nothing wrong with wanting things to work as you do, but it
17 > > requires input to do so. It you have to start editing files to make it
18 > > work properly, there is little point in making it the default.
19 >
20 > Right, and it could work without editing files manually. A
21 > configuration file assigning editable names to the annoying names could
22 > be created automatically and filled by assigning the name an interface
23 > already has to it (because when it has a name, the name is known, which
24 > is easier than trying to make up all possible names in advance). Then
25 > only if you wanted you would edit the configuration file to assign the
26 > name(s) of your choosing, and if you don't want to do that, you simply
27 > get the names you get now. There would be no change to how the names
28 > are now, only an additional option.
29 >
30 > That would also have the advantage that when the annoying name of an
31 > interface changes, you can choose to either adjust all configuration
32 > files in which you have specified a particular interface or simply
33 > adjust the one configuration file that assigns the names.
34 >
35 > I actually wonder why they didn't virtualise the names. It makes too
36 > much sense for not to do it, and you could do likewise with other
37 > devices (especially disks).
38
39 That's a reasonable approach, and you could have the ebuild set it up
40 with a USE flag. All it takes is for someone that cares enough about it
41 to do something.
45 Neil Bothwick
46
47 I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.